Friday, May 6, 2011

Getting Your Iron Tested


Sports, diet, and medical experts say "athletes, especially women, long-distance runners, adolescents, and vegetarians should be screened periodically to assess and monitor iron status." [1]  Athletes may need more iron than most people, but too much iron can be dangerous, especially for men -- so, you don't want to just start taking iron supplements to see if it helps your running.  Here are a couple good articles about it [here] and [here].   Notice it's not a regular blood test you want, but a ferritin test.

Now, I am not a doctor, I'm some fool on the internet.  I (Jim Beebe) am not speaking for the club here, either.  I'm not giving advice, I'm just telling you what I did.  Here's what I did:

I went to econolabs.com and paid $25 with a credit card.  They emailed a paper that I printed out and took to LabCorp in Seneca the next morning.  No appointment, I got there at 8:00, there was minimal name-and-address stuff for the receptionist.  No one else was there, so I didn't have to wait.  The lady in the back stuck the needle in my arm professionally, got it over with quickly, and I was leaving the parking lot at 8:09.  I got my results by email before noon the next day.

[1] JADA, vol 109, issue 3, pp 509-527, March 2009


Other news and announcements:

Greenville Track Club all-comers track meets start in june, every Tuesday at Furman University.  If anybody wants to carpool up there, email us.  [link]

Greenville Track Club is going to try for the world record for 100 5k's, they're shooting for 30 hours.  Several Clemson people are involved.  [link]

I noted a few weeks ago here that Seneca alumnus Lakya Brookins was being hailed as the current fastest woman in the world, due to her 60m time.  Though faster speeds are attained in shorter distances, some quibble that the title "fastest man/woman in the world" goes to the current 100m champ.  Quibble not for now, because Ms. Brookins has the 100 too:  [link] 

Clemson women won the ACC Track & Field Championships.  [link]  [update, they're ranked 3rd in the nation now [link]]

Looks like Seneca won the first day of the regional AAA Championship, but I don't see results for day 2.  [link]  This Saturday, the 7th, in Columbia is the qualifier for the state championships, which are 13th & 14th.

The fall calendar is filling up.  It may not take that long to make your own plans and preparations, but you need to claim a date and book a race timer/manager at least 5 or 6 months ahead -- and go ahead and get listed on calendars.  You can't just say, "let's have a race six weeks from now" and expect many people to show up.  See our handy area race calendar on this site and pick a date that doesn't already have a race to compete with.  We might be able to provide a water station, and you can get Road Runners Club of America insurance through us, too.  Email and ask, OCONEERRC at gmail dot com.

Come to the meeting this Thursday, the 12th.  Scroll down to the last post for details.

Happy running, walking, or moving along somehow.

No comments:

Post a Comment